Testing went well, I had my setup sorted, an awesome looking set of dry race tyres, a set of brand new tyres (in case it was going to be wet), and I was feeling confident and on top form with a view of clinching the title as it was going to go down to the last race.
I started well and got a good lead, but as the track changed towards the end of the race, my setup didn't work as well, with my lead eroding lap by lap. James Murphy put a late move on me into Vale on the very last lap, which I didn't think would stick but did, so I ended up finishing P2, with James also securing fastest lap (worth one additional point).
|2018 Caterham Roadsport Race 13 podium (l-r) Me! P2, James Murphy P1, and Toby Clowes P3.
Race Video below:-
|2018 Caterham Roadsport Race 14 podium (l-r) Oli Pratt P2, Me! P1! and Neil Frazer P3.
- An un-diagnosed problem with my gearbox at both races at Snetterton (third was engaged, but box was neutral) - gearbox was replaced.
- Another gearbox problem at Brands Hatch (my fault as trying to shift to 1st rather than 3rd!) - gearbox was rebuilt
- Penalty points could be reversed by a days marshalling
- I incorrectly 'best guessed' the car setup for the wet Silverstone race
- Missing out on fastest lap in the last race by 0.028 of a second (without a tow), which was worth the point I needed.
|Daniel French and James Murphy P2 and P1 (respectively) of the 2018 Caterham Roadsport Championship
- Overcoming the gearbox "issues" that thwarted me at the start of this season
- Understanding the car setup and how to get the most out of it
- Knowing the difference between a good and a great tire
- Wining the most amount of races this year, some by substantial margins
- Scoring the most amount of overall points, which at 395 is the same as last years Roadsport Champion, Pete Walters
- Considerable improvement in my racing throughout the year
- What a blast!
|Daniel French - 2018 Caterham Roadsport Championship Runner Up - Silverstone