I'll start off this post by summarising the last few days of this install:-
- Day one was prep work and getting out the curved side panels
- On day two I managed to get out the rear bulkhead and the panel in the drivers section
- And on the third day I got the final (passenger side) panel out!
- Day four was an 'easy' day with just a weigh in...
It's now the fifth day of this project, and I've finally reached the best bit - the refitting... So on we go... Firstly, I went round with a torch inspecting all two hundred and thirty seven rivet holes, to see if there were any rivet remainders was left in the holes - using a combination of a 3.5mm metal drill and this thin punch I bought from halfrauds I meticulously ensured that every hole was free of any previous rivets.
|Tapping and drilling out rivet remainders|
|Dinitrol 3125 being sprayed into chassis tubes to collect rivet heads / pins|
There were some comments raised on the lotus 7 forum, suggesting that whilst I had the interior skin off, it'd be worth removing the crash protection panels and protecting the grot traps with some waxoil... Using a flat head screwdriver and a very small amount of force the crash panels were loosened from their silicone adhesive and were free - revealing the lower chassis tube and the associated 'grot'.
|Crash Protection Panels were easy to remove|
|Dinitrol 3125 used to protect the grot traps and metal from corroding|
|Applying bead of black silicone to secure crash protection panels|
I refitted the crash protection panels, but the silicone didn't really hold them in place all that well - I guess as the silicone was pretty slow drying stuff - the crash panels just didn't stick immediately. So I thought the best thing to do was to 'trial fit' the first carbon interior panel.
The carbon interior panels look lovely, but don't be fooled by their two sided colours - it's definitely the matte side that should be visible, not the shiny side you may think at first...
With a bit of wiggling, bending and twisting (the carbon - not me) the first 'interior' panel was in. It was a little tricky getting it behind this panel (picture below) as you need to prise out the alloy panel for the carbon to slot in behind
|First interior panel trial fitted to drivers side|
|A wider angle shot of the first carbon interior panel|
Having trial fitted the first interior panel on the drivers side, I thought it'd be a good idea to now trial fit the rear bulkhead. Before I go on any further - I'd suggest you don't do this... The rear bulkhead has to be fitted first otherwise you'll scratch the hell out of your side panels wrestling with the bulkhead trying to get it in. So... Remove the interior panel, and ensure the crash protection panels are secured in place whilst the silicone goes off with a bit of masking tape or similar.
Before trial fitting the rear bulkhead, it's worth double checking the holes - everything seemed to line up really well, but there were a few missing holes - namely the edge ones (no need to worry about these just yet) and two for the fuel filter.
|Lining up both panels to check the drilled holes are in the right places|
|Two marked drill holes for fuel filter|
With the two holes made for the fuel filter, the next logical step seemed to be to trial fit the rear bulkhead. Of course, it fits, but there is a bit of a 'knack' to it. Firstly the tunnel cover needs to be completely removed (which is a pain!), but the bulkhead won't go on without removing the tunnel cover. You need to bend the panel with the edges towards you at first, then place one side of the bulkhead in (drivers side seemed easier) then with the divers side in, you need to bend the passenger side section in the middle and towards you to get the edges in (see pic below).
|Carbon rear bulkhead test fitted for first time|
|Rear bulkhead removed, tunnel 'tabs' bent inwards and black silicone applied to tubes|
|Carbon rear bulkhead is in!|
|A few rivets holding the rear bulkhead in place whilst I readied my new tool|
All you need to do is put the rivet in, press the trigger, the rivet is popped in a second with hardly any scoring to the black heads and then the inner barrel runs backwards and spits out (slowly) the rivet pin - awesome!
|Sealey 14.4v Cordless Riveter made light work of all the riveting required|
|Carbon rear bulkhead fitted, siliconed, and riveted into place|
|Drivers panel fitted and riveted into place|
|A blob of silicone used for weatherproofing between rear bulkhead and interior panel|
|Rivets ready to go in, on leading edge of curved carbon panel|
|The rear bulkhead, and drivers side fitted with the new Caterham Carbon Interior panels|
Oh well - a quick call the next day to Tony at Caterham parts, and he kindly arranged for another 50 to be sent which arrived this morning, so I set out to finish off the final few rivets and then it was done!
|The new Caterham carbon interior fully fitted to my R500|
Tomorrow (hopefully) I'll rebuild the rest of the bits on the car, and providing it's dry get a few 'nice' pictures of the interior.