So this is a bit of an irritating blog to write - purely because of the reasons why my wing is broken in the first place! For those of you that don't know, my car was crashed into by a 'less than athletic' Romanian courier driver whilst on a recent trip to Folembray, France.
Anyway, rant over - here's my Carbon Cycle Wing Replacement (with) Guide:-
Firstly asses the damage! Yes, my cycle wing is DEFINITELY busted...
|Broken Caterham Carbon Cycle Wing|
You'll need the following parts:-
- A new carbon cycle wing from Caterham link here
- A tube of Teroson 9220
- Some IVA trim (I had some left over from the build)
- Some heat shrink, superglue and some general tools
|Indicator wiring removed / cut|
|Teroson 9220 used to secure the wing is reassuringly difficult to remove|
|Rear of wing stay quite bent|
Having tried using some force to bend the wing stay back into place, it just wouldn't work - I needed a bit more torque... So I managed to build this extended lever which slotted into the wing stay, but used most of my 175 piece 'professional' Halfords toolkit!
|Quite a few tools used to make up this extension - but worked a treat!|
|Wheel fitted to check wing stay tubes aligned properly|
The first thing to do is to fit the IVA trim (if you decide to use it), ok it adds weight, but I think the look of the cycle wing without the IVA trim looks bare and unfinished.
I had some IVA trim lying around (left over from the build) which luckily was long enough to trim the new wing edge with. The IVA trim has a longer edge which goes underneath the wing, and is held in place with good old superglue.
|Superglue is the 'substance of choice' to ensure the IVA trim adheres (according to Derek Howlett)|
|New carbon cycle wing with IVA trim fitted|
|Bighead fasteners tie-wrapped to wing stay tube|
|Bighead fasteners on cycle wing with silicone adhesive drying|
|Teroson 9220 used to bond wing to wing stay - when dry it forms a very tough rubber|
|Teroson applied and dried - just need to cut cable ties|
When cutting out the indicator holes I found that the rubber gasket made the perfect mask... Simply place on the wing, mark out your holes and job done... Don't know why I didn't figure this out in the original build though!
|Indicator gasket makes the perfect mask - just make sure you put it on the correct way around!|
- The correct way to fit the indicator is with the bulge forwards
- Extend the indicator wire (from the wing-stay side not the indicator) and before refitting the wing (soldering with the wing in place is awkward)
- Make sure you thread the wires through the rubber gasket before soldering back together... Trust me it's annoying having to undo it all again (twice! ha ha!)
- Trim the top of the screw (circled below) to stop it piercing the live wire - as this was the cause of a breakdown when I first got the car.
|Indicator refitted along with wiring - cut the top off the screw highlighted to stop it piercing and shorting|
Now just give the electrics a final test to ensure the indicator is working, and so long as it is - that's job done.
|New carbon cycle wing fitted and indicator working - job done.|
A final thought... Using big-head fasteners not only adds height to the wing, but I don't actually see the point in using them at all - now that I've been 'introduced' to Teroson 9220! I certainly would've used this method when I made the car as the way it adheres and dries is very reassuring indeed (and it's what they do in the factory too!)