During the long days, weeks and months between Caterham collecting the car and eventually getting it back to me, I decided to buy a couple of upgrades to keep me 'into' the process... I ended up buying a pair of carbon headlights, rear light blocks, reverse and fog light blocks, hand brake lever and tax disc holder.
|Caterham Carbon upgrades.|
|Caterham Carbon Headlight Bowls - with some of the scratches highlighted.|
Onto the bits I could do...
Last night (Monday) I decided I to fit the clear indicators, and whilst I as at it thought I may as well fit the carbon rear light blocks I'd purchased too.
First job was nice and simple... Clear front indicator kit.
Basically the instructions are - unscrew the existing indicator lenses, remove bulb, replace with orange bulb, then replace indicator lenses with clear ones... Easy!
|Clear Indicator Kit Ready for Fitting.|
|Standard Caterham Indicator Lenses with Bulb - weighing in at a massive 32g.|
|Caterham Clear Front Indicator Kit - Surprisingly lighter than the standard part at 26g.|
|Caterham R500 Front with standard indicators illuminated.|
|Caterham R500 Front with clear indicator kit fitted and illuminated.|
Next job was to fit the rear clear indicator kit and carbon light blocks. The picture below is of the rear end with standard indicators and light blocks..
|Caterham R500 with standard rear indicators and light blocks.|
|Caterham Carbon Reverse Light and Fog Light Mounts.|
Indicator blocks removed and weighed in at 66g each.
Picture of carbon blocks below weighing in at 42 grammes each. The manufacturer's website states that they are a diminutive 48 grammes each - which sounds amazing, but in actual fact it's only a 24 gramme saving per unit (total saving 48 grammes) and for £100 I don't really think it's money well spent in terms of weight saving, but hey they look cool - which is what I really wanted them for, so I'm happy.
I noticed that the offside mount wasn't quite horizontal, and fiddled around with it thinking that the mount was wrong, but it turns out the nuts in the bodywork are slightly wonky, so out with the dremel to open up the mounting holes and then it fitted great. I then threaded the cut cables back through the central hole of the carbon mounts, and then screwed the mounts in place. Once in place I soldered the two cables together then applied heat shrink tubing (approx 3mm heat shrink diameter).
As the brass eyelet was extremely weakly fitted to the bullet connector, I took a trip down to Maplin to buy some tiny screws to screw the eyelet and cable into position.
|Standard Caterham reverse light mount - 66 grammes in weight.|
|Carbon Caterham reverse light mount - 42 grammes in weight.|
|Carbon mount in place with wiring threaded through, soldered and heat shrunk ready for fitting to the reflector.|
|Tiny screws and nuts for tightly securing the eyelet connector.|
Reverse light completed, now onto the fog light - which is the same process.
|Caterham Carbon Reverse Light Mount.|
Next up - Carbon Rear Light Blocks. I thought these would be straight forward, but they're a bit of a faff due to the connection block - so this is what I done. I'm not saying mine is the right way (or the wrong way) but it seemed to make the most sense to do it this way...
Firstly I removed the standard indicator cover and loosened the rubber light block.
|Indicator cover removed and rubber light block loosened.|
|Caterham offside rear light block with cover removed.|
Next stage is to remove the grommet from the bodywork inside the rear arch and disconnect the connection block.
|Rubber grommet removed showing light connection block.|
|Rear light block removed, with plastic sheath removed exposing indicator wiring.|
|Metal bulb mount removed from rubber block and wires cut ready for soldering back together.|
I then decided to line things up as a dry fit, and I noticed the foam strip wasn't really positioned well.
|Carbon rear light blocks with original poorly fitted foam strip.|
|Carbon rear light block with foam strip removed.|
|With my hand cut foam strip applied.|
|Indicator wiring, soldered, with heat shrink and threaded through carbon rear light block.|
Its's worth mentioning that there are two green cables, but they're easy to identify as one has a blue line in it.
Next job was to fit the new bulbs. The orange one goes to the outside (indicator) and the LED one in the mount next to the P21/5W badge - the picture below is of the nearside unit.
|The finished assembly ready for lights, weather proofing and fitting.|
|With orange indicator and LED brake / light.|
Then I applied a small amount of silicone in the wiring hole to minimise any water ingress with the next stage being to fit it all back together, which is basically a reverse of taking them off.
|Wiring hole with silicone to minimise any water ingress.|
|Caterham rubber indicator unit weighing in at 442 grammes.|
|Carbon indicator unit nearly half the weight at 248 grammes.|
|Carbon rear indicator block with clear lenses fitted.|
|Carbon rear indicator and lighting mounts fitted to Caterham R500.|
|Standard rear indicators illuminated.|
|Clear rear indicators illuminated.|
|Standard rear lights including fog light illuminated.|
|Clear rear lights including fog light illuminated.|
So that's it for the upgrades for now. I'm hoping to get the carbon headlight bowls back middle next of next week and will do a post about fitting those as and when.
In the meantime I hope the weather stays good for plenty of evening blats and on Thursday (19th June) I'm off to Curborough Sprint Course, for my first track event - I hope it stays dry!