|Fifty-two weeks ago, Dean Francis delivered my road legal Caterham R500
I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for content to write about today, as since my track day at Cadwell last week, nothing has happened with the car. So I thought I'd revisit some of the highlights over the last twelve months.
In ascending date order, here they are:-
- Naturally the entire build was an 'interesting' challenge, more in terms of dealing with Caterham what with their poor parts supply and quality issues more than putting the car together. Having said that it was extremely satisfying to build, eventually.
|The R500 and all (well most of) the parts being delivered ready for assembly
- Experiencing the car from the drivers seat for the first time (video below)
- My first track day at Curborough sprint course.
|On track at Curborough Sprint Course
- Fitting the aero screen - should've done it MUCH sooner!
|The first look of my Caterham R500 with carbon aero screen fitted
- Having an article about my build published in the August 2014 issue of Low Flying magazine.
- A 636 mile blat from Stevenage to Aberystwyth and back... in a day!
|The Caterhams' lined up on the promenade at Aberystwyth
- Chasing down an 997 GT3 on a track day at Bedford Autodrome (video below)
|On track at Bedford Autodrome in my Caterham R500
- Being asked to be in a picture in Auto Express Magazine (issue 1,333 20-26 August 2014)
|Taking part in the Auto Express SEAT Leon SC track review photography
- Having my picture published on the front cover of October 2014's edition of Low Flying magazine.
|My picture of four Caterhams' at the western end of the Elan Valley, B4574, near Cwmystwyth on the front cover of Low Flying Magazine in October 2014.
- Getting out for my first blat of 2015 on 2nd January! (video below)
- Fitting the carbon headlights - which look extremely cool!
|Westermann Motorsport Carbon Headlights fitted to my Caterham R500
- Taking my nephew for a blat around the local B-roads (video below)
- Finishing off my orange rimmed track day wheels and tyres
|Orange rimmed, 8 spoke 13 inch R500 track day wheels with Avon ZZR tyres and painted tyre wall lettering
- Going to Folembray, France on a group blat with the subsequent speeding ticket, beers, banter and track action that go along with all things 'blat' (video below)
|Around thirty Caterhams' met at Maidstone services for the blat to Folembray, France
- And most recently a track day at Cadwell Park (video below)
|On track at Cadwell Park - great picture showing the orange shocks and wheel rims
- The fuel tank gasket has some dampness on the outer edge which is making my garage stink! So a new gasket has arrived, I just need to find the time to drain the tank, remove the old gasket and replace (properly).
- The car is being collected for its first annual service at Caterham Midlands at the end of this month.
- My gearbox oil weep has started again, so the gearbox may well be removed when the car is at Caterham Midlands whilst being serviced.
- The weight problem will be addressed. I'm working out ideas on how to remove weight, and how I can double check the weight figures at home.
- The car will be rolling road tuned with a bespoke map by Steve at Track n Road in July (post service) so that will be interesting to see the bhp results and power curves.
And.. Naturally, I'm very much looking forward to the rest of this year's activities.