So Derek (not CC Derek) came over to lend a hand, and as some have mentioned maybe a third pair of hands would've been helpful, but we managed it... eventually.
The first task was to ready the gearbox. I started by putting the selector shaft o ring in place - this was one of the question points I had for (CC) Derek, and he confirmed it went in the hole in the picture below and was held in place with a little bead of silicone.
|Selector shaft o ring in place, and held there with a fine bead of silicone.|
|I removed all the plastic plugs from the gearbox and fitted this larger metal one. The other holes will be filled with other gubbins, gearstick, reverse switch and so on over the next few days.|
|Gearbox mounting rubber - this mounts to the cross member in the chassis tunnel.|
The gearbox got fitted and torqued to the engine, and then we strapped the engine to the crane via a strap I'd bought threaded through the lifting eyes, and began the install.
|R500 engine with gearbox attached and strapped to engine crane.|
|My thoughts at this moment... It's never going to fit, but smile for the camera anyway!|
|It's going in with some jiggling.|
It worked in the end, but it really was quite difficult. As I had already installed the diff and prop shaft this made fitting the gearbox to the prop shaft a nightmare, that and the fact the R500 has a prop shaft guard, which completely restricted the movement of the prop shaft spline. We must've spent an hour with jacks, lifting, trying to move the engine that little bit further forward, back, left, right - it really didn't want to go in. We were also getting snagged up with the copper fuel line, but that was swiftly held out of the way with a trusty cable tie.
|Fuel line cable tied out of the way for a short period of time. Had we had the third pair of hands this would've been their job!|
|Getting the prop shaft into the gearbox was really tricky - mostly due to the R500 prop shaft guard doing it's intended job and completely limiting the movement of the prop shaft.|
|Belt pulley removed to aid prop shaft and gearbox 'marriage'|
|And then the engine was in - WELL HAPPY!|
|Another view of the engine in it's home.|
|New (old style) R500 wheels.|
Tomorrow evening will be a few fiddly bits which won't be anywhere near as satisfying as tonight, but each bit fitted is one step closer to the ultimate satisfaction of having it on the road which I'm very much looking forward to.