As the build had been taking it's toll on me I decided it best to take a quick break for a couple of weeks to get my head back in order and to get my motivation back together. So Charlotte and I popped over to Lily Beach in the Maldives for a bit of scuba and sun (well it was actually booked a year ago, but I thought my version of the event sounded better). Anyway... We got back very early this morning - 2am in fact, but I was chomping at the bit to get the engine and box in before I go back to work tomorrow, so a few hours kip and I was ready to go. However, I'm feeling quite jet lagged as I'm typing away now, so bare with me on today's post...!
Whilst on holiday I ordered an engine hoist, as this would be delivered by the time I got back and easier for me to have ready for today - so the first task was to put that together. Derek (not CC Derek) came over to give me a hand, so we got to work...
|Engine hoist prior to assembly.|
|I went with a foldable version which means the legs can be moved a vertical position for easy storage when not in use.|
|Middle support in place.|
|Engine Crane built - only took half an hour or so.|
|We then put it in place to see if we needed the 900kg or 300kg reach, and went with the 300kg reach.|
|The engine then got moved out to make access easy for fitting the gearbox, or so we thought!|
|Other side of the engine.|
|2.0 Litre Ford Duratec|
|Washer bottle and motor in place.|
|Washer bottle tubing in tunnel and tie-wrapped into place.|
Next job was to put the engine mounts in. Got the bolts, washers and nyloc nuts ready, sized everything up, and the body skin under the chassis hadn't been drilled out properly, so it was out with the Dremel to open the holes to allow the bolts all the way through.
|Using the Dremel to open up the body skin to allow the bolts that hold the engine mounts to the chassis through.|
The instructions mentioned a 300mm black cable which goes into the front hole of the left engine mount, but this (pic below) is the only wiring that would fit, and had the right connectors - so I'll be checking this is ok with Derek at CC in the morning. But, other than that the engine mounts are ready and waiting for the engine.
|Engine mounts ready and waiting for the engine.|
Next step - remove the alternator and starter motor, as the engine won't go in unless these are removed first.
|Alternator ready for removal.|
|Starter motor unit awaiting removal.|
|Engine now minus alternator and starter motor unit.|
Jet lag aside, the day WAS progressing well. Next part in the instructions says to lower the engine and gearbox assembly into the engine bay... Hang on... Where's the bit where you fit the gearbox to the engine? Ahhh I see - about 50 pages back in the manual on page 72, with about 8 different (all unclear) variations on what to do. Take the bell housing off, and attach the gearbox from the inside of the bell housing out, then the very next paragraph tells you NOT to remove the bell housing and mount the gearbox to the engine from the outside of the bell housing. There was also an O-ring supplied in the gearbox box saying it had to be fitted, and the instructions mentioned this needs to be siliconed to the selector shaft...?!?
|Selector Shaft O-Ring must be fitted between transmission and bell housing - and siliconed into place..?|
Doesn't sound right to me, so a lot of head scratching went on, and we decided to call it a day, as I didn't have any gasket silicone anyway.
|Selector Shaft O-Ring - is this the right place to put it?!?|
|As I don't have a labelled gearbox parts bag, I think these are the right cap head bolts to attach the gearbox to the bell housing - or is it the bell housing that's attached to the gearbox! Only time will tell!|
|This is the sorry state of affairs of today's 'engine and box' install - but looking on the positive side, all the groundwork is done for a (hopefully) pain free install tomorrow night.|
I will be emailing quite a few bits to check with Derek at CC after I publish this post, and provided he confirms what we've assumed today then we'll apply a silicone gasket seal to the bell housing and gearbox, then the box will be attached from the outside to the bell housing. Not too sure what the outcome on the o-ring will be though. And all being well the engine will be in tomorrow night!