I had pre-organised the stone chip protection applicator guys to come round on day fourteen, and as the decals that were originally applied to the car were wrong we had to get the decals changed to the 'correct' ones which for me are the triple stripe variant before the stone chip protection film was applied.
The guys who fit the stone chip protection film from http://www.signsuk.co.uk (who also do the work for the CC supplied cars) came down from Burbage, Leiecstershire and arrived around 11am. I had already got all the bits (nose cone, rear wings and bonnet) down from upstairs, so everything was ready for them to crack on.
|Panels ready for decal re-application and stone chip protection film.|
|The guys removing the originally fitted decals.|
|The stone chip protection film which will be applied over the (correct) decals.|
Tonight was a different matter. I had set myself the task of fitting the watts link arms to the mounts provided and to the De Dion tube. I also wanted to get the brake calipers on (or at least together) so the final duty would be to torque everything up.
I'd already sized the watts link arms as per the instructions on Sunday, but I found the bell crank to be too tight to fit the eyes in, so a quick email to Derek and he said he used to prise them open. I found the best (and easiest) solution was to pop a t-bar socket in the top and give it a light tap with a soft hammer.
|Opening the bell crank with a t-bar socket and a soft hammer.|
|Watts link arms fitted together.|
|Using Dremel to open hole up for cap head bolt for Watts link front arm (passenger side)|
|Pushing spacer washers into De Dion using small adjustable locking wrench and 'protective material'|
|Front Watts link arm, note that the recessed edge points outboard.|
|Rear Watts link arm, note that the recessed edge points inboard.|
I then torqued the watts link bolts, marked them as torqued and then decided to tackle the brake calipers.
I lightly greased the drive shaft splines and put the brake discs, thrust washer and hub nut in place and tightened gently. Steve Grubb (Grubbster on blatchat) had very kindly emailed me a copy of a CC internal document he received which was a very handy step by step guide of how to put the calipers together. I followed the pics and the have pretty much a finished rear suspension and brake setup, which was exactly what I had set out to achieve tonight so I feel very satisfied with the progress.
|Rear brake disc and calliper in place.|
|Rear calliper assembly with bolts (notice deliberate spacer error) in place. just need to check with Derek tomorrow morning what the correct torque is for these bolts.|
Tomorrow night I am just going to take it easy. I'll finish the brake caliper fitment, fit the brake lines and torque up any remaining rear suspension and brake bolts that need tightening.