Thursday, 13 February 2014

Build Day Ten - More Prop Shaft Guard and Diff Filling

After looking for a number of different ways of drilling the holes for the rivets to hold the prop shaft guard in place, the smallest solution I could find was the Dremel 575, it's a right angle tool and was just the right size to fit in the tunnel.  Only problem was that the closest one to me was in Cambridge, so a very rapid trip there and back, and I had what I needed.  Also popped to B&Q to get a couple of new metal drills to make the drilling as painless as possible.

Lee popped over tonight to lend a hand, and we achieved drilling the holes for the rivets to rivet the prop shaft guard in place.  However I popped inside to organise the Domino's Pizza delivery, and left Lee to continue drilling the holes for the rivets.  When I went back to the garage there was an awful burning smell and one burnt out Dremel!  Anyway, amazon are great for customer service, so a new one should arrive early next week.  Luckily we'd done all the holes bar one, and have riveted the guard into place - this took a lot longer than you may think.
Using the dremel 575 right angle tool - perfect size to get into the tunnel to make way for the rivets.
Using the dremel 575 right angle tool - perfect size to get into the tunnel to make way for the rivets.  

The rivets through the tunnel to hold prop shaft guard in place.
The rivets through the tunnel to hold prop shaft guard in place.

We decided now was a good time to fill the diff, firstly with the supplied LSD additive and with the petrol tank out it was dead easy.
We decided now was a good time to fill the diff, firstly with the supplied LSD additive and as the petrol tank was out it was dead easy.
Filling the diff with the diff oil supplied in the first fill pack.
Filling the diff with the diff oil supplied in the first fill pack.
Pizza arrived!

A 'short break' later and we went back out to fit the track day roll bar, as I read on another blog that this had to be fitted prior to the rear suspension, I wanted to get this fitted tonight so I could fit the rear suspension tomorrow evening.  Only problem - I can't get the aluminium boot skin back in (it was extremely tight to get out) and four of the roll bar bolts don't fit... So will have to get Derek to send me some new ones in the morning... Kinda annoying as these small things really hold the progress up.

No comments:

Post a comment

Thanks for your comments, I'll check out what you've written and add it provided it's useful informative and not spam.