I made a comprehensive (to say the least) document of bits and pieces that I wanted checking at PBC (post build check) stage and rectifying prior to me taking eventual receipt of the vehicle, and the paintwork was a fairly substantial part of this "dossier".
Dean (CC midlands) sent my bonnet off to http://www.xkengineering.com/ last week for testing. XK engineering are not the original painters of the car, and as such today provided an independent report as to what the paint status is. The great news for me (and reassuring for other potential Caterham owners) is the paint is in fact good. The report states:
- First test 95% adhesion (just a few edges lifted) still a pass though.
- Second test 100% adhesion.
- There is nothing wrong with the paint adhesion/strength of the paint on the bonnet supplied.
Some pictures below of the areas of paintwork that were in question:
|Scratch on carbon nosecone - this was there out of the bubble wrap packaging|
|Chips where nosecone meets front of bodywork covering chassis|
|Scuffing where hood sticks attach to top of rear bulkhead|
|Scratch on drivers side carbon rear wing - no idea how this got there|
|Chip on passenger side entry arch - I've asked to get this armourfended as I can see this area getting some abuse|
|Removing the foam on the front scuttle actually lifted some of the paint off|
|Pretty sure this was chipped when the revised decals were fitted|
|Red tinted carbon front cycle wing|